Mon, 5 Dec 2022

 

Uganda declares first Ebola death since 2019
 
By: News Editor
Tue, 20 Sep 2022   ||   Uganda, Kampala
 

The Ugandan Ministry of Health on Tuesday announced the Country’s first fatality from the highly contagious Ebola virus since 2019, that an outbreak in the Central district of Mubende was declared.
The Ministry, who disclosed this through its Twitter said; “The confirmed case is a 24-year-old male… (who) presented with EVD symptoms and later succumbed,’’
The World Health Organisation Africa Director, Matshidiso Moeti in a statement on Tuesday,  said, a 24-year-old man in Mubende had tested positive for the relatively rare Sudan strain of the virus and eight other suspected patients are undergoing treatment
WHO said; “This follows an investigation by the National Rapid Response team of six suspicious deaths that have occurred in the district this month.’’
“This is the first time in more than a decade that Uganda is recording the Ebola Sudan strain.’’
“We are working closely with the national health authorities to investigate the source of this outbreak while supporting the efforts to quickly roll out effective control measures.”
‘’There have been seven previous outbreaks of the Sudan strain, including four times in Uganda and thrice in Sudan.’’
Uganda, who shares a penetrable border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), has experienced several Ebola outbreaks in the past, especially in 2019, when at least five people died.
Meanwhile, the DRC last month recorded a new case in its violence-wrecked East, in less than six weeks after an epidemic in the Country’s North-West was declared over.

 

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News