Tue, 30 Nov 2021

 

EPL: Newcastle Sack Steve Bruce,eye Fonseca,Lampard,Gerrard and Conte as likely replacement
 
From: Kelvin Ugo Ubaka
Wed, 20 Oct 2021   ||   United Kingdom, England
 

Wednesday 20th Oct.2021:Newcastle United have sacked manager, Steve Bruce after their 3-2 loss to Tottenham on Sunday.
Bruce’s departure from the club was expected after the Saudi Arabian-backed consortium, led by the Public Investment Fund, completed a £305m takeover of the club on October 7.
The defeat left Newcastle in 19th position of the Premier League and without a win after their opening eight games of the 2021/22 campaign.
Former AFC Bournemouth coach, Graeme Jones will lead the team on an interim basis, starting with Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace.

Lampard, Gerrard, Conte
Newcastle said they have begun the process of recruiting a new head coach, with former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca has emerged as a contender, according to Sky Sports.
Newcastle’s new owners could bring on former Chelsea manager Frank Lampard, Rangers manager Steven Gerrard, or former Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte to replace sacked manager Steve Bruce.
Currently, Lampard is without a coaching job while  Conte is taking a break from coaching after winning the Scudetto with Inter.
Reports from England indicate that Newcastle will be able to spend well over £200m to strengthen their squad over the next three years without breaching Financial Fair Play rules.
The new owners are aiming to make the club as big as Manchester City and Paris St-Germain, with an even larger source of funding.
However, Bruce had earlier told Sky Sports that he wants to continue as manager following the successful takeover.
He said, “I want to continue (as manager) but I have to be realistic. I’m not stupid and aware what could happen with new owners.”
Bruce’s last game as Manager  at St. James’ Park on Sunday, was his 1,000th match.
  

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News