The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a police officer seen in a viral video threatening to shoot anyone who attempted to record him while on duty, with disciplinary proceedings already underway against the officer.
The officer, identified as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi, is attached to the Anambra State Command.
The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Thursday by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu.
ASP Isokpehi drew widespread condemnation on Wednesday after a video circulated on social media showing him threatening to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders, if anyone tried to film him during official operations.
In the video, delivered partly in Pidgin English, the officer also threatened that any superior officer who authorised the recording of policemen would be held responsible for the deaths of citizens he vowed to kill.
The footage quickly gained traction across X and Instagram before it was later removed from his TikTok account. The officer subsequently released another video apologising for his remarks, claiming they were made out of frustration.
Reacting to the incident, the police command said immediate action was taken once the video came to its attention.
“Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command,” the statement said.
The command added that internal disciplinary procedures had been initiated in line with the ethical standards of the Nigeria Police Force.
It further disclosed that the officer had undergone a drug test as part of the ongoing investigation.
“As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process,” the statement added.
Commissioner of Police Ikioye Orutugu condemned the officer’s conduct, describing it as inconsistent with the values and professional standards of the Nigeria Police Force.
“The Commissioner of Police strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the officer in the video and reiterates that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement, or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence,” the statement read.
The command assured residents of Anambra State that the outcome of the disciplinary process would be made public and that any officer found culpable would face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations.
The police also reminded officers and personnel to maintain professionalism, emotional restraint, and respect in the discharge of their duties, especially amid growing public scrutiny of security agencies.
The command further commended members of the public, civil society organisations, and social media users for drawing attention to the incident, noting that public feedback plays an important role in strengthening accountability and improving policing standards.
“Residents are encouraged to continue reporting incidents or behaviours capable of undermining public peace, safety, and confidence in security agencies,” the statement added.









