Mon, 18 May 2026

 

‘Shamed into action’ — Atiku faults FG’s response to anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa
 
By: Abara Blessing Oluchi
Mon, 18 May 2026   ||   Nigeria,
 

Former Vice-President and opposition figure Atiku Abubakar has criticised the Federal Government’s response to renewed anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa, describing it as slow and lacking urgency.

His comments come amid reports that at least two Nigerians have been killed since xenophobic tensions escalated in South Africa last month, alongside renewed attacks and threats targeting foreign nationals.

In a statement issued on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Abubakar said Nigeria appeared to have been “shamed into action” while other African countries moved more decisively to safeguard their citizens.

He pointed to Ghana’s response as an example, noting that the West African country reportedly approved the evacuation of more than 300 citizens affected by the unrest. According to him, such steps reflected urgency and clear crisis management that he said was lacking in Nigeria’s initial response.

Abubakar argued that, despite Nigeria’s diplomatic weight on the continent, its response to the situation had been largely reactive. He said smaller African states had acted earlier by issuing advisories and activating protective measures for their nationals abroad, while Nigeria’s response followed only after external pressure and growing concern.

“It is deeply troubling that Nigeria… once again found itself reacting instead of leading in a moment of continental crisis,” the statement said, adding that early warning signs of danger were met with stronger action by other countries.

He further criticised what he described as a pattern of delayed engagement by Nigerian authorities in previous xenophobic incidents involving its citizens in South Africa. According to him, past responses have typically involved diplomatic summons and statements, followed by periods of limited follow-through until crises escalate.

Abubakar stressed that the core issue was not whether the government eventually responded, but whether it acted with sufficient speed and leadership. He said a government’s primary duty is the protection of its citizens, warning that delayed action risks sending a negative signal about the value placed on Nigerian lives abroad.

He also called for immediate steps, including the issuance of a stronger travel advisory for South Africa, the activation of evacuation arrangements for Nigerians willing to return home, and increased diplomatic engagement with South African authorities to prevent further attacks.

Beyond the immediate crisis, he urged the African Union to develop a more durable continental framework to address recurring xenophobic violence, arguing that repeated attacks on African migrants undermine regional unity.

“Africa cannot continue to preach unity while tolerating periodic persecution of fellow Africans,” he said in the statement, while also calling on Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs to demonstrate greater urgency and effectiveness in its handling of the situation.

Meanwhile, reports indicate that more than 130 Nigerians in South Africa have voluntarily registered for repatriation following recent attacks targeting foreign nationals.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News