Mon, 18 May 2026

 

Nigeria, US conduct fresh strikes against ISIS
 
By: Abara Blessing Oluchi
Mon, 18 May 2026   ||   Nigeria,
 

Nigeria and the United States have carried out new coordinated strikes targeting Islamic State militants in northeast Nigeria, according to the US military.

The operations were conducted on Sunday, the US Africa Command (AFRICOM) said in a statement on Monday. It said intelligence confirmed the presence of ISIS fighters at the targeted locations.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No US or Nigerian forces were harmed,” AFRICOM stated.

The latest strikes come two days after both countries announced a separate joint operation that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, an Islamic State leader described as the group’s second-in-command globally. Al-Minuki had been under US sanctions since 2023.

Northern Nigeria continues to face persistent insecurity from Islamic State-linked insurgent groups as well as armed criminal gangs responsible for attacks on rural communities and mass kidnappings.

The security situation has also drawn international attention. US President Donald Trump has accused the Nigerian government of failing to protect Christians, alleging religious persecution claims that Abuja has rejected. Nigerian authorities maintain that victims of violence include both Christians and Muslims.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News