Mon, 18 May 2026

 

No confirmed Ebola case in Nigeria, NCDC assures
 
By: Abara Blessing Oluchi
Mon, 18 May 2026   ||   Nigeria,
 

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has assured Nigerians that no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease has been recorded in the country amid concerns over the ongoing outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain in Central Africa.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Director-General of the NCDC, Jide Idris, said the agency was closely monitoring developments following the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and a recently confirmed imported case in Uganda linked to the situation in DR Congo.

According to the agency, health authorities in both DR Congo and Uganda have activated emergency response measures, including enhanced surveillance, laboratory testing, contact tracing, infection prevention and risk communication.

The NCDC noted that Nigeria had also intensified preparedness efforts in response to increasing cross-border movement within the region.

“Due to increasing regional movement across countries, NCDC is closely monitoring the situation and working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Service under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, to ensure continued vigilance and preparedness within the public health system,” the statement said.

The agency added that it was strengthening event-based surveillance systems, supporting laboratory readiness, reinforcing infection prevention and control measures in healthcare facilities, and expanding community engagement activities nationwide.

The World Health Organization (WHO) had earlier warned that the Bundibugyo strain differs from the more common Ebola-Zaire variant because there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics specifically developed for it.

As of May 16, health authorities reported eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected infections, and 80 suspected deaths across several health zones in Ituri Province in eastern DR Congo, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.

The NCDC urged Nigerians to remain calm, avoid misinformation, and maintain proper hygiene practices, particularly regular handwashing. Residents were also advised to avoid contact with bodily fluids of infected persons, as well as dead animals or bushmeat from unknown sources.

Healthcare workers were advised to maintain a high index of suspicion for patients presenting symptoms consistent with Ebola, especially those with relevant travel history, while strictly adhering to infection prevention and control protocols.

The agency further encouraged Nigerians to promptly report unusual illnesses to the nearest health facility and rely only on information provided by official public health authorities.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News