Wed, 19 Jun 2024

 

FG speaks on refusing to evacuate Igbos in Sudan
 
By: Cletus Sunday Ilobanafor
Wed, 3 May 2023   ||   Nigeria,
 

The Federal Government has debunked claims that the Nigerian Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, refused to evacuate Igbo residents in Sudan.

A Nigerian in a viral video had alleged that Igbos were asked to alight from the flight for Nigerians of other extraction to enter the plane for evacuation.

But Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Francisca Omayuli said it has investigated the allegation and the report was false.

Omayuli urged the general public to disregard the allegation, adding that Igbos were among the first batch of 637 Nigerians evacuated to Aswan Border, Egypt.

She said they are presently awaiting their eventual return to Nigeria.

Omayuli noted that although there were scuffles between the students and other Nigerian residents due to the limited number of buses, the issue had been resolved.

“More buses were made available to accommodate every Nigerian national in Sudan who indicated interest to be evacuated.

“It is, therefore, surprising that such a misleading allegation could be leveled against officials of the Embassy who had worked tirelessly on the evacuation exercise,” she added.

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News