Fri, 29 Aug 2025

 

Military arrests Avengers, Boko Haram’s suppliers
 
By:
Thu, 21 Jul 2016   ||   Nigeria,
 

The military has recorded major successes in its operations against the activities of the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) in the oil-rich region and Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East. The Nigerian Navy said it has arrested a man suspected to be a major logistics supplier to the Avengers.

Also, the Nigerian Army has arrested a suspected supplier of petrol to Boko Haram. The NDA, which emerged early this year, had claimed responsibility for the bombings of oil facilities in the oil-rich Niger Delta, in recent times. A few days ago, the group attacked a crude oil trunk line belonging to Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) in Batan, Warri Sourh West Local Government Area of Delta State.

The Navy, in a statement by its spokesman, Commodore Christian Ezekobe, said the suspect was apprehended on July 11. It further stated that preliminary investigation has revealed that the suspect recently supplied some materials, including 10 batteries and large coils of wire, which were suspected to have been used in the latest bombing.

According to the statement, “The arrest was made following a confessional statement obtained from an earlier arrested suspect who gave details of the involvement of other collaborators in the attacks. “Preliminary investigations also revealed that the suspect recently supplied 10 batteries, five large coils of wire and other materials purportedly used for the attacks,” the Navy said.

On the arrest of Boko Haram fuel suppliers, the Army also arrested the driver of the vehicle that was conveying the petroleum products and other items, at Molai check point, located on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. The Army made the disclosure in a statement by its spokesman, Col. Sani Usman.

“The Quick Reaction Force (QRF) of 251 Battalion, 7 Div. Gar on routine checks arrested a truck loaded with 25 jerry cans of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) and other goods cleverly covered and concealed at Molai check point, outskirts of Maiduguri at about 8a.m. on Tuesday.

“The driver of the vehicle, Muhammadu Adamu, claimed ignorance of the contents of the vehicle and called the owner of the goods, Tijjani Gambo, to explain. He too denied supplying terrorists fuel and other items; rather he claimed to be a mere trader that supplies goods to customers in Damboa based on demand.

“However, preliminary investigation revealed that he has been sending PMS and other goods through the same route at regular intervals without an identifiable corresponding recipient in Damboa as alleged. “Although investigations are still ongoing, it is suspected that it could be the means through which he had been supplying the terrorists with dire logistics in Sambisa forest.

This is more so that there is a ban on the purchase and transportation of petrol in containers such as that within the theatre,” the Army said. It added that the suspects and the exhibits have been handed over to Joint Interrogation Centre for further investigations.

Also, the Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, has said the military had defeated the Boko Haram fighters in the North-East. Dambazau disclosed this in Port Harcourt at a two-day seminar with the theme: “Media Engagement in Crises Situation for Military, Security and Response Agencies,” partly organised by the Centre for Crisis Communication.

“The war in the North- East with the Boko Haram has been fought and won – as the Boko Haram ele-ments have been routed, degraded and are being decimated,” he said. Meanwhile, leaders of Gbaramatu Kingdom have condemned the arrest of Hon. Simon Bebenimibo and Bomboy Oluba, describing them as innocent and harmless persons. Bebenimibo and Oluba are suspected associates of ex-militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo, alias Tompolo.

Bebenimibo, a member of Delta Waterways and Land Security Committee, DWLSC and Obula were arrested on Monday night and detained at a military barracks in Effurun in Delta state. Chairman, Kokodiagbe Community in Gbaramatu Kingdom, Comrade Sheriff Mulade, who spoke with New Telegraph on the worrisome issue, condemned the attitude of the military who came through the rooftop of Bebenimibo’s house and arrested him and also harassed his family. “We are aware of the inhuman treatment and the way they (military) arrested Hon. Bebenimibo.

Sadly, we are not aware of the reasons for which they were arrested. I don’t think the way he was arrested was fair by going through the roof top to effect the arrest,” said Mulade. According to him, the military should allow Gbaramatu Kingdom be in peace and condemned the harassment of innocent persons by the military. “We are not at war with anybody. Regrettably, Gbaramatu has been turned to war zone by the military. “We want to appeal to security operatives to find out the truth.

We are not afraid of anything because we are peace loving people,” he stressed. He, however, advised that the military should not rely on false information by their so-called informant rather, “They should try as much as possible to find out the fact before making any arrest”. Also, spokesperson of Ijaw People Development Initiative, Mr. Daniel Ezekiel, who condemned the arrest, demanded an unconditional release of both Messrs. Baenimibo and Bomboy Olubi unconditionally.

 

 

Tag(s):
 
 
Back to News